Cleveland Railway Embankment – Guisborough

Building work in Guisborough has revealed stonework from the original route of the Cleveland Railway which opened in 1861 as a freight line for the local ironstone mines, the original route continued west over a wooden viaduct and skirted the southern edge of the Eston hills.

In 1865 the Cleveland Railway, Middlesbrough and Guisborough Railway and Stockton and Darlington Railway were all taken over by the North Eastern Railway,  the route quickly became redundant and closed in 1873 after only 12 years of use.

Leave a Reply