This ironstone obelisk was cut for exhibition at the Royal Mining, Engineering and Industrial Exhibition at Newcastle in 1887, it consisted of the entire main seam of ironstone and was originally 9ft 4ins high. It is engraved “Skelton Park Mines”
The pillar was later displayed at the North East Coast Exhibition in 1929
After the exhibition it moved to Armstrong College in Newcastle and then later to Close House where it is shown in 2009 in the photo below.
All the moves have taken their toll on the column which has at some point snapped and been repaired, the company name (which should be Bell Brothers) has also sadly been lost and just the words “Limited” remain.