Skelton Old Shaft Ironstone Mine

Lease Holders

  • 1858 – 1923 : Bell Brothers
  • 1923 – 1958 : Dorman Long and Company

Timeline

  • 1861 –  114ft shaft sunk, Cleveland Railway opens, production starts.
  • 1863 to 1864 – Stone used to build Rushpool Hall (home of John Bell)
  • 1864 – Drift from ‘Spa’ allow stone to be taken out direct to Cleveland Railway
  • 1864 – Surface drift added near shaft for easier miners access.
  • 1870 – Guibal fanhouse constructed
  • 1874 – Part of Royalty including Spa drift surrendered to Gjers, Mills and Company.
  • 1877 to 1879 – Closed due to slump in trade
  • 1903 – Tramway to short-lived  ‘Ping-Pong’ district built, owned by Chalenor
  • 1918 to 1923 – Two foot seem worked below original main seam.
  • 1923 – Mine abandoned by Bell Brothers
  • 1930s – Shaft pillar worked by Dorman Long
  • 1938 – Production ends

Skelton Old Shaft was the first shaft mine in Cleveland.

The Guibal fanhouse used for ventilation survives on-site

Sources

Catalogue of Cleveland Ironstone Mine (Peter Tuffs, Cleveland Ironstone Series, 2003)

Skelton Park Ironstone Mine (Simon Chapman, Cleveland Ironstone Series, 1999)

Please note that Skelton Shaft is entirely on private property, please do not enter without prior permission.