South Skelton Ironstone Mine

Lease Holders

  • 1872 – 1878 : T Vaughan and Company
  • 1878 – 1879 : Trustees of Thomas Vaughan and Company
  • 1879 – 1900 : Clay Lane Iron Company
  • 1900 – 1929 : Bolckow Vaughan and Company
  • 1929 – 1954 : Dorman Long and Company

Timeline

  • 1865 – Original lease signed from Mr Warton
  • 1872 – 217ft shafts sunks and mining starts
  • 1878 – Thomas Vaughan goes bankrupt
  • 1912 – Mine electrified
  • 1914 – Sirocco Fan installed
  • 1924 – Original wooden head gear replaced by steel
  • 1935 – Pickling belt from Spa Wood mine installed
  • 1954 – Mine closes
  • 1956 – Head gear demolished
  • 1985 – Fan house and winding house demolished, shafts capped.

The mine was also known as “Van Pit” and contained a fairly complete set of building until the mid 1980s, but much has since been demolished.

The site is private property and currently being redeveloped for homes but happily converting some of the old structures rather than just removing them.

Sources

Catalogue of Cleveland Ironstone Mine (Peter Tuffs, Cleveland Ironstone Series, 2003)

South Skelton Mine (Simon Chapman, Cleveland Ironstone Series, 2010)